To see and visit
The Maigrauge Monastery
Cistercian abbey with church built in the 13th Century.
The abbey, built in 1255, was the first monastery for women in Fribourg. The Cistercians Nuns are established in the monastery for more than 750 years.
The church is open to the public.
Ch. de l'Abbaye 2
T : 026 309 21 10
Church and Convent Montorge
The church is open to the public
Ch. de Lorette 10
The former augustinian Monastery
The former Augustinian Monastery is an important example of 13th century mendicant-order architecture and has splendid, more recent objects of art.
Rue de la Lenda 1
This Romanesque church, built at the end of the 12th century, has a framework covered in the Louis XVI style.
You' ll also find a splendid 18th century Neapolitan nativity scene. The Notre-Dame du Rosaire Chapel, early Gothic.
Place Notre-Dame 1
The Franciscan church and Monastery
The Franciscan church, built in 1256, has a medieval interior of very high standing. Do not miss the oldest choir stalls in Switzerland, the 1840 Carnation-Master Altar, and the Furno Altar (1509-13), one of the most precious altars in Switzerland. Retable St. Antoine de Padoue, Hans Fries, 1506.
Rue de Morat 6
Cistercian Abbey built in 1138 close to Fribourg (7km).
Built on a meander of the Sarine (river), it occupies a typically enchantress Cistercian site, where nature realises a happy harmony between water, vegetation and stone.
"Basse-ville" of Fribourg
The "Basse-Ville" is the name given to the historic old town of Fribourg, with its many churches, convents, bridges and fountains. It is also the birth place of "Bolze", a popular culture and language. The Sarine river, dotted with bridges made of wood and stone, winds its way through the valley of the Basse Ville and its three districts of Bourg, Auge and la Neuveville.
The establishment of the city in the meanders of the Sarine required the construction of several bridges, especially after the integration of the right bank of the Sarine in 1253. It was exceptional for the Middle Ages to build so many bridges in a city due to the expensive and demanding technique.
The Bern Bridge
The central bridge
Built in 1720, this one replaced a covered wooden bridge from 1275. This 4-arch - 70m-long bridge used to be a covered bridge made of wood (1275). Let your eyes caress the old part of town and the impressive Bourguillon cliffs.
The St. John bridge
Originally, this bridge was a covered, wooden structure with 3 tuff-stone arches. The year 1746 saw the birth of the bridge you can walk on today.
The Zaehringen bridge
First was the Frenchman Joseph Chaley's suspended bridge (1834) yet today's 165-meter long bridge was stretched out into the open in 1924.
The Gottéron bridge
Built between 1956 and 1960 to replace the old suspended bridge that was 150 meters long.
The Poya bridge
Service des ponts et chaussées (SPC)
Rue des Chanoines 17
T: +41 (0)26 305 36 44
F: +41 (0)26 305 36 51
Built in 1889, the University of Fribourg has more than 215 professors and around 10'000 students from more than 100 countries.
Five faculties :
- the faculty of Law
- the Economic and Social Sciences
- the faculty of Arts
- the faculty of Sciences
- the faculty of Theology
University of Miséricorde
At the founding of the Catholic International University in 1889, it was housed entirely in the socalled Lycée, an annex of the Jesuit College. The Natural Science Faculty was moved in 1896 to a former wagon factory in the Pérolles quarter. The Humanities Faclties occupy the new campus, built in 1939-41 on the site of the former cemetery Miséricorde. The plans were conceived by the Paris-based Swiss architect Denis Honegger in collaboration with the local Fernand Dumas, who was experienced in building with concrete. In 1978 a controversial expansion in the same style was carried out under the supervision of Honegger on the basis of an old design. The addition created a closed, square complex. A decline in quality to the newer strucutres is however apparent.
Université de Fribourg
Avenue de l'Europe 20
Tel. +41 (0)26 300 71 11
Art en plein air
41 pieces of contemporary art open air
Brochure disponible à Fribourg Tourisme gratuitement.